Five Steps You Must Take After a Dog Bite in the Blue Water Area
In Michigan, many children love to play outdoors in the street together with their friends from around the neighborhood. When an aggressive dog gets loose, this innocent playfulness can quickly turn from fun to traumatizing.
Dog bites in southeast Michigan are frightening. Unfortunately, they are a serious problem that—with just a little bit of extra care by a homeowner—could be stopped before they happen. When your child or you is bitten by a dog, you can face severe injuries and emotional trauma that can last a lifetime.
If your family was impacted by a serious Blue Water area dog bite, here are five critical steps you must take.
- Seek immediate medical care. First and foremost, you and your child need to get immediate medical attention. Dog bites can quickly become infected, and hey may be worse than they appear on the surface. Seeking medical care immediately helps you get the treatment you need as quickly as possible.
- Find the dog that bit you. It is important to know which dog bit you. By finding the aggressive dog, you can protect your family and your neighbors from future dog bite attacks. This is also critical to filing a claim against the homeowners’ insurance of the owners of the dog.
- Report the dog bite. If you were the victim of a southeast Michigan dog bite, you need to let the authorities know right away. This can also help protect other people and innocent children from being hurt by getting the dog into safe handling right away.
- Take pictures to document the injuries. Pictures can help your case significantly. Take pictures of all of the damage the dog did to you or your child to document what happened in the attack. This is critical to your case.
- Contact a trusted Port Huron dog bite lawyer. Filing a dog bite claim in the Blue Water area is a complex process. You must file against the homeowners’ insurance of the dog owner that hit you. You do not file a lawsuit against an individual or go after someone personally. With help from a dog bite lawyer, you can file the necessary claim to get the compensation you need and deserve.
Filing a claim after a dog bite is critical. Not only do you get the compensation you need to cover your high medical costs, but you also help prevent any future dog attacks. With help from a Blue Water area dog bite lawyer, you can be confident that you get the best possible outcome in your case. Call us today at 810-966-9467 to learn more about what you need to do to file a dog bite claim in Michigan.